Sunday, October 07, 2007

*Is There Someone Who Can Explain This Potato Mystery?*

I am now very thankful that it was just the four of us for Thanksgiving Dinner tonight! Our dinner was absolutely delicious (if I do say so myself) but would you believe that after 90 minutes (yes NINETY MINUTES) my potatoes are still hard as rocks???

Explain this to me?

Here are the specifics:
*they were regular every day red potatoes, the kind I always use for mashed potatoes
*I cut them into manageable pieces as I always do
*I put them in salted water as I always do
*I boiled them, as I always do
*after 45 minutes, water level was getting low so I boiled some water in the kettle and added it (something new)
*at an hour we sat down to eat and the potatoes were still hard
*at an hour and a half, I turned off the pot and gave up

What on earth????

I have never had this happen with potatoes! And what a day for it to happen!

Anyone have any idea about this??

7 comments:

Allison said...

Not a clue...weird! I always use russets since they are the only ones I consistently have luck with!

Flossie's Follies said...

WOW, never heard of that, I boil red potatoes all the time, hmm, strange.

Anonymous said...

We had baked potatoes for lunch today, sweet & irish, and baked in oven for 1 1/2 hours - not done, so microwaved, one at a time - never did get any of them to cook through!! We're about as far away from you as one could get and still be in US...this makes one go: hummmm.

Joy T. said...

Ok that's weird. I'm thinking it had to be the new water added which made the water in there already cool off, then it had to get to a boil again. Or maybe it's 2:00am in the morning and I'm delirious. Ya. The last one. I just came on to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving :o)

jmniffer said...

It's the great potato mystery. I have no idea what caused it. Glad the rest of the meal was delicious. Jenny

crazy4mycrafts said...

Nancy, I got curious and looked this up. Here is a link! http://www.seedsofknowledge.com/potatoes3.html I thought you might find it interesting! Your Thanksgiving is coming up! Have a good one!

iteach said...

I have had this happen before too. The first time it happened we were at our daughter's home in Las Vegas, Nevada (higher elevation that our home). I gave up as you did, thinking it had something to do with the elevation. It has happened several times since then in Illinois (where I live). It certainly isn't just the elevation if that is a part of it at all.

I think it must be something about the potatoes. I did notice that they smelled "strong - or like dirt" as I was peeling them.