Pages

Sunday, October 07, 2007

*Is There Someone Who Can Explain This Potato Mystery?*

I am now very thankful that it was just the four of us for Thanksgiving Dinner tonight! Our dinner was absolutely delicious (if I do say so myself) but would you believe that after 90 minutes (yes NINETY MINUTES) my potatoes are still hard as rocks???

Explain this to me?

Here are the specifics:
*they were regular every day red potatoes, the kind I always use for mashed potatoes
*I cut them into manageable pieces as I always do
*I put them in salted water as I always do
*I boiled them, as I always do
*after 45 minutes, water level was getting low so I boiled some water in the kettle and added it (something new)
*at an hour we sat down to eat and the potatoes were still hard
*at an hour and a half, I turned off the pot and gave up

What on earth????

I have never had this happen with potatoes! And what a day for it to happen!

Anyone have any idea about this??

7 comments:

  1. Not a clue...weird! I always use russets since they are the only ones I consistently have luck with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, never heard of that, I boil red potatoes all the time, hmm, strange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had baked potatoes for lunch today, sweet & irish, and baked in oven for 1 1/2 hours - not done, so microwaved, one at a time - never did get any of them to cook through!! We're about as far away from you as one could get and still be in US...this makes one go: hummmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok that's weird. I'm thinking it had to be the new water added which made the water in there already cool off, then it had to get to a boil again. Or maybe it's 2:00am in the morning and I'm delirious. Ya. The last one. I just came on to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's the great potato mystery. I have no idea what caused it. Glad the rest of the meal was delicious. Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy, I got curious and looked this up. Here is a link! http://www.seedsofknowledge.com/potatoes3.html I thought you might find it interesting! Your Thanksgiving is coming up! Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had this happen before too. The first time it happened we were at our daughter's home in Las Vegas, Nevada (higher elevation that our home). I gave up as you did, thinking it had something to do with the elevation. It has happened several times since then in Illinois (where I live). It certainly isn't just the elevation if that is a part of it at all.

    I think it must be something about the potatoes. I did notice that they smelled "strong - or like dirt" as I was peeling them.

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What You Have To Say! (and use the pull down menu if you do not have a Google account)