Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

*Angel Food Pie*

I had a few people ask for this recipe so I thought I would share....  when I was a kid, this was the only version of pie I would ever eat (I'd have mine (and I still do) with sprinkles instead of the toasted coconut though).  I made my first Angel Food Pie for dessert for an early Christmas celebration we did with Bruce's Mom and her husband and Bruce's siblings... I was nervous as it looks tough, but it was easy and OH so tasty!  I know my Mom would have been happy that I finally got around to trying the recipe....

Angel Food Pie

4 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups boiling water
3 egg whites
3/8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups whipped cream

1. Mix cornstarch and sugar in a double boiler
2. Add boiling water, stirring constantly and cook until clear
3. Beat egg whites and salt until stiff
4. Add 3 tablespoons of sugar and vanilla and beat until shiny
5. Pour hot mixture slowly over beaten egg whites, beating continuously
6. Pour into a baked pie shell and cool (I use the recipe on the Crisco box)
7. Serve with Whipped Cream and Toasted Coconut



Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

3 comments:

  1. Have a very similar recipe from the ladies back in my husband's hometown. Used to make this for church suppers and it was called Moonshine Pie. I never knew anyone else who has the recipe. Mine has no water in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds heavenly! I really want to try it out now...thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must give this recipe a try as it sounds yummy.
    Thank U 4 sharing the recipe.
    ColleenB.

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What You Have To Say! (and use the pull down menu if you do not have a Google account)