Pages

Sunday, April 05, 2020

*Happy Birthday Mom*

My Mom would have been 81 today.... but she passed away in September 2010.  She is the reason I craft at all.  She crafted and created all my life.... sewing, cross stitch, knitting, crocheting, petit point, paper tole, ceramic painting.... and then in November 1996 she showed me her latest craft (and I honestly thought... Oh God, not another craft).  She had been to a craft fair and someone was selling stamping stuff.  She showed me this thing called heat embossing and I was hooked...  she had already hooked me on cross stitch, but I soon lost interest in that as my paper crafting obsession grew.  When she was sick (she had cancer and was giving 4-6 months to live), I spent a lot of time travelling back and forth from Calgary to Regina to spend time with Mom and to eventually help care for her.  In the early months after diagnosis, I had her teach me how to read a crochet pattern... I could do the stitches but I couldn't figure out the language in the patterns.  It's another craft I still do to this day.

I think about my Mom every single day (my Dad as well)... I miss them both so much.  On their special days, I like to do something special to mark the day.... so today I will be buying myself some flowers to enjoy to celebrate Mom on her birthday.

This card is SO not my Mom's style.... she was all about the intricate and time consuming creations...  but she would have loved to have received any card in the mail from me or any of her crafty friends.
Are you playing along with the word a day prompts from Scrap 'n Stamp?  Be sure to share your creations on the Challenge page!
Items Used:
*Cardstock:  Neenah Solar White 110lb; Stampin' Up Basic Black
*Images: Taylored Expressions Simple Strips Background
*Dies:  Taylored Expressions Simple Strips, Simple Strips Backer; Studio Katia Halftone Dots Circle
*Ink:  Catherine Pooler It's a Boy, Pixie Dust, Grape Crush, Suede Shoes
*Tools:  Big Shot; Life Changing Blender Brushes
*Etc:  Nuvo Glimmer Pen; foam tape

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What You Have To Say! (and use the pull down menu if you do not have a Google account)